Thursday, October 1, 2015

GLORIA ROUBAL'S DAILY HAND GENERATED TYPE PHRASE #139

I love fall, or autumn, whichever term you prefer. I think "autumn" has an elegant ring to it compared to "fall." Autumn is definitely here. The days are getting noticeably shorter, a few trees are turning colors, the temperature is cooler (especially at night), and socks are coming on at night. Yes, I do love autumn because of the relief from summer heat, the beauty of the turning leaves, the special position of the sun in relation to the earth which creates a unique kind of sunny day when it is sunny, and, of course, Halloween. :) As a student, I always loved the beginning of the school year (once I finished grieving the summer), and the change in seasons is always associated with that for me. It's not my favorite season. That is spring, most definitely, but autumn is probably my second favorite.

I saw the phrase, "dreamful autumn" in a poem once. I have no idea who wrote it. I Googled it, and found this, but I don't think this is the same poem I once read. It's lovely, nonetheless.

Pale amber sunlight falls across
The reddening October trees...
Are we not better and at home
In dreamful Autumn?

                                  ~ Ernest Dowson

I also, in my Google search, found that the phrase, "On a dreamful autumn night," is used for various charity events and other things. It's funny, because I hadn't ever heard "dreamful autumn" used except for that mystical poem that I can't find anymore.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Here is today's phrase. May you enjoy a beautiful autumn this year.





No comments:

Post a Comment