Saturday, October 31, 2015

GLORIA ROUBAL'S DAILY HAND GENERATED TYPE PHRASE #169

Today is Halloween! Poor little kids... around here it was cold and rainy. I remember how that felt. Huge BUMMER! I think there have been years when they've allowed the trick-or-treating happen on the day after, but maybe I'm dreaming that up. I don't leave the porch light on anyway, so I wouldn't get to see the kids in their costumes if the weather had cooperated. Why, you ask? Well, our dog, Silvio, gets mighty upset about trick-or-treaters. It's just not worth the stress for him. Plus, over the last decade or so, there have been fewer and fewer kids out in our neighborhood. Finally, if there is leftover candy, I'll just eat it. So there's that.

In thinking about what kind of phrase I wanted to create for today, I decided to search for inspiration on Morguefile.com. I found several cool photos that would have worked, but the one I chose is absolutely perfect. At least I think it is. It's just so dark. You can imagine walking in the dark night and coming upon this house... totally scary!!! There's nothing you can see, but that's what makes it scary. It allows the imagination to run wild. I love this photo and the particular processing the artist, "Driscoll," used for effect.

Then, what phrase to use...

I remembered that last year, my friend Kelli designed the Halloween T-shirts for Weiskamp Printing. She drew an amazingly elaborate skull (her drawings are absolutely stunning... all ink on paper with tiny ornate detail. I could go on... Anyway, she decided to place a phrase on the T-shirt that was in Latin. It was something about death, but I can't remember what the phrase was. Still, it was so intriguing and beautiful in its creepiness! This inspired me to look up some Latin phrases, and I chose this one. It means "Say Nothing But Good Of the Dead."

For Halloween, I'm pretty happy with this phrase. The lettering took awhile, and there's nothing all that special about it, but it works, I think.

Happy Halloween!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment