Wednesday, February 3, 2016

GLORIA ROUBAL'S DAILY HAND GENERATED TYPE PHRASE #264

I have come upon what is now my favorite dessert. And the best part is that it's a vegetable! My friend Kelli actually showed me how to bake butternut squash; I have just tweaked the recipe a bit.

My favorite way to prepare it is the following:

Cut it in half longways. Clean out seeds and pulp. Put a teeny bit of brown sugar with some cinnamon in the hollowed out part of each half, facing up. Pour about a teaspoon of olive oil in each and stir it up. Spread the mixture over the entire top. For added delight, slice an apple (or even just half an apple) and distribute the slices over the top. If you do the apples, make sure to cover them with the mixture as well.

Cover a small cookie sheet or flat baking pan with foil (no dishes to wash), put both pieces on the foil, and bake at 375 for 25-40 minutes (it depends on the size of the squash and how soft you like it). Check it with a fork for desired tenderness. Eat while hot, and you'll feel like you're eating some kind of wonderful pie without the crust. Sometimes I put a little coconut spread on afterwards for extra moisture and decadence.

I just had one (half) for my dessert, and my sweet craving is satisfied (for now!).

By the way, if your grocery store doesn't have whole butternut squashes, you can get it frozen and cubed... you can do almost the same thing, only you just mix everything up in a bowl first and then spread out on the cookie sheet. Cook for less time. Adding cubes of apples and/or pears adds enough sweetness that you don't need the sugar. Actually, you don't need the sugar at all; I just like it a little sweeter than it is naturally when eating it as dessert. :)

Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment