Wednesday, December 30, 2015

GLORIA ROUBAL'S DAILY HAND GENERATED TYPE PHRASE #229

Well, this one is different from any other that I've created!

When I was a graphic design student, I was lucky to be in a class of serious, creative, smart, funny, extremely talented, and FUN people! We were a pretty close-knit bunch, and I really valued the time I got to spend with this group over the two years we were in school together. Thankfully, we do keep in touch and get together once in awhile.

Anyway, nerds are proud of being nerds, regardless of the focus of the "nerdiness." In graphic design, we preferred to refer to ourselves as typography nerds! Ha! We were (and are) cool as nerds go. :)

So in today's phrase, I basically call myself out as a type nerd. You know... I notice the tiniest problems with kerning, leading, margins, choice of typeface, and on and on. If smart quotes aren't used... well, that's a problem. And don't get me started on the Oxford comma (which isn't a typography issue as much as a punctuation issue, but nevertheless important to me). And if a designer uses Comic Sans... well, that's breaking one of the cardinal rules of typography!

Enough, enough, already.

Here you go.



























(PS – the quotes and apostrophes in this blog may not be "smart," but I blame that on Blogger.)

No comments:

Post a Comment