Sunday, January 10, 2016

GLORIA ROUBAL'S DAILY HAND GENERATED TYPE PHRASE #240

This evening, I made my vegetable soup (actually, it's "Phil's Soup.") I make four gallons of vegetarian soup that I put into small containers, freeze a bunch of it, and eat it for lunch just about every day with a boiled egg (from a local farm where the hens are treated with kindness and live happy lives).

Making this soup is quite a process, especially when you consider the quantity. My husband's workout buddy, Phil, was the one who gave me the recipe. It's a weight-loss soup, but really it's just a good, healthy soup with tons of veggies... and very, very tasty! At the bottom of the post, I have included the recipe for "Phil's Soup" for anyone who would like to try it.

I'm taking a long time to get to my point about this phrase.

While in the kitchen making soup, it's fun for me to have some fun music playing. I get silly and dance around while I'm cooking (sometimes). Today I decided to select a funk station on Spotify. That's some fun shit. :)

The song "Love Rollercoaster" takes me back to my junior high school days. There was a great urban legend that everyone at the time knew, and that was that a girl had fallen off of a rollercoaster and died, and somehow this had been recorded on tape. You can hear, very faintly, her scream in the background during the breakdown section of the song. For whatever reason, we all believed it! Ha!

I had the idea of the letters of ROLLERCOASTER being shaped like one... so here it is.

I'm gonna go have some soup.


























Phil’s Weight-Loss Vegetable Soup (and diet)

2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onion
2 large bell peppers
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups green beans, snapped
1 cup radishes, chopped

(I also add broccoli, zucchini, spinach, kale, green onions, butternut squash, or any other good veggies!)

Combine all of the above and sauté in 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (I use olive) and 2 tablespoons broth (low sodium chicken or vegetable broth) for 5-10 minutes.

Now add:
1 cup mushrooms
28 oz canned low sodium tomato sauce
16 oz canned stewed or crushed tomatoes (no additives)
3 cloves garlic minced (I use about 30 times this amount)
4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 package dry soup mix (veggie or onion)
2 cups shredded cabbage

Bring to a boil.

Add in:
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon chili powder
Spice to taste (and add other spices, like curry, if you like)

Cook over low heat until veggies reach desired tenderness, roughly 30-45 minutes.
(I have been making double batches. I either use 2 pots or my gigantic 4 gallon stock pot!)

45 calories per cup
320 mg. sodium per serving (2 cups per serving)


If sticking to the exact diet:

They recommend 10 days every three months, a minimum of 3-4 servings per day, and 8 glasses of water a day.

DAY 1
As much soup as you want and all the other fruit you want besides bananas.

DAY 2
As much soup as you want and all the other vegetables you want plus one serving of starch (rice, potatoes, etc.)

DAY 3
As much soup as you want, all the fruit you want besides bananas, all the other vegetables you want besides corn.

DAY 4
As much soup as you want, bananas, milk, and yogurt.

DAY 5
As much soup as you want, tomatoes (at least 4 servings), and one serving of lean protein.

DAY 6
As much soup as you want, all the other vegetables you want besides corn, and one serving of lean protein

DAY 7
As much soup as you want, as much fruit as you want besides bananas, all the vegetables you want besides corn, and you can add no-sugar juices if you want.

After DAY 7, start back at DAY 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment