Friday, January 22, 2016

GLORIA ROUBAL'S DAILY HAND GENERATED TYPE PHRASE #252

The first time I saw the movie Pulp Fiction, it had just come out, and I was truly disturbed by the shocking scenes of violence. I still liked the movie a lot, but it wasn't until the second or third viewing that I saw the sick humor and realized that the pulp fiction genre was like that, and it was cartoonish. There are so many great scenes in the movie, the acting is fantastic, and the way Tarantino put the whole thing together is brilliant. It really has become one of my all time favorite movies!

I tend to be drawn to movies, TV series, and books that are twisted in one way or another. Lately I've been watching a series called, "The Following." It's so violent! I find myself wondering why the hell I want to watch these things!? I've come to the conclusion that I watch/read these fictional horrors to avoid dealing with the ones that are real. Stephen King said, "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones," and he was talking about writing, but the same thing goes. It's an escape, a distraction. It's intense and mostly pretty unrealistic, but I do suspend my disbelief and get into the stories regardless.

Twisted, violent, horror-filled, psychologically thrilling stories are by no means ALL I enjoy watching and reading...I don't want to give you the wrong idea! It's just one genre that I do like. Now, I can't watch things that are too realistic or depict animals suffering. And there are just some subjects that are too close to what happens in real life. For me, it's an escape from some of that, in part, and also, such as with David Lynch movies, I enjoy the truly bizarre and unpredictable. 

Back to Pulp Fiction, The characters, "Pumpkin" and "Honey Bunny" are just too funny. That they would call one another these silly pet names and commit robberies and shoot people together is ludicrously funny.

Now, I'm going to go read my wonderful book, Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien, a true account of a woman who dedicated her life to a barn owl that had been rescued at only a few days old but had nerve damage to his wing and needed a life-long home. It's an amazing story, and it's told so well! I LOVE this genre too! :)

All of that being said, if you have never seen Pulp Fiction, it must go on your list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment